Friday, June 11, 2010

Classic Games

I plugged my NES into the tv today. For games made when 1080p wasn't even thought of, it looks just like it should (not that the game isn't running in 480 or anything). I don't have a light gun, but since they will not work with modern televisions, I'm not too upset.

I really want to beat Super Mario Bros the entire way through without using any warp tubes. Going underground for coins is okay, but no level skips. I played a little bit the other day before I went out and got to leve 3-4 without any trouble, so maybe I can do it. I can't say I ever spent any significant amount of time in levels 5+, so I don't quite know what I will find.

I have a few more NES games that I would like to play and beat as well. I'm a little sad that my copy of TMNT has some display issues. I might have another copy of it in New York, but I'm not sure. It wouldn't have made any sense to leave it there when I made the effort to go get the power cable.

There's a new Mortal Kombat coming out. It looks like it may have some of the classic attributes MK3 had, but since everything after that has been crap, things aren't looking too good. I may hold off on buying it when it comes out.

2 comments:

The Blaggernaut said...

I've kind of been wanting to play racing games. Then I remember that I have too many things to do without games and it makes me sad. I have my DS on every now and again, but no other serious gaming time other than that. I like challenging myself to beat games in new ways or with different handicaps. I guess that's what the guy that invented "beat the last boss using only starting weapon" trophy was thinking too...

peter said...

racing games like mario kart, or racing games like gran turismo?

I'm really looking forward to GT5. The amount of content in it will be spectacular. Even though I have zero interest in NASCAR, I find it interesting that because a NASCAR specific title is no longer being created, GT has picked it up and become the defacto NASCAR game. It won't have any sort of career mode, and I'm not sure if the cars will have the proper colors, numbers and advertising, but it is still in there, in some sense.