Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Delicious Soup

I'm not sure why, but I really enjoy playing Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. It's a roguelike, and that means one mistake, or bad luck will end your game for you. I usually play as a mountain dwarf warrior because it is said to be the easiest to finish the game with. They are pretty consistent throughout. I like Orc Priest and Troll Monk, but they have some problems the deeper you get in the dungeon. I would really like to play around with other classes sometime, but whenever I do try something new, I usually don't get deeper than the third level. Maybe it just works out that way.

I tend to play the tiled version because I always get confused by the ASCII one. The only problem with the tiled version is that I cannot play that on the server. It's not a huge loss, not being able to play on the server, but sometimes I like to do it.

The thing I dislike the most are when the ghosts of your old, dead characters show up. When you find them early in the game, you usually aren't powerful enough to kill them. So you die. Or at least I do. Maybe I'm supposed to run away. Though, if I really didn't want to fight them, I can cheat and delete the morgue files. Of course if I did that, I could also save scrub my games. That is, where I save when I think something bad might happen, copy the save files to another location, and then reload them when I die.

2 comments:

The Blaggernaut said...

I have never tried this. Would I enjoy it?

peter said...

Probably not. You die all the time and there isn't much in the way of character development. I mostly play it when I'm bored.