Friday, August 20, 2010

The End of Civilization

I'm not sure if I like Civ4 as much as I thought I did. I find it hard to get enjoyment from a game where for no reason what so ever, I suddenly have six other nations declaring war on me. That's great. And of course they all have the perfect set of treaties and roads that they can move their armies to me in no time at all.

It's a lose-lose. I need to expand for resources and such, but I'm always started in a place where I'm surrounded by other civilizations... so if I try to get rid of them, I can take down one easily enough, but then the other magically can create enough defenses to hold me off forever. It doesn't matter if my units are twice as strong and I have twice as many. Their city defenses seem to count more than mine do. Of course, by starting this war, I've offended every other nation on the planet, who now want to kill me.

It's not like I can try for the non-aggressive route either. I'll get boxed in and then some stupid aggressive leader will declare war on me for no reason. Hooray! That's fun!

1 comment:

The Blaggernaut said...

That sounds really frustrating. That's why I'm not really into games that have more complicated than "if a, then b" mechanics.