Monday, February 15, 2010

Guilty Pleasures

I hate MUDs (multi user dungeons - think Zork, but with more people), but I can't stop trying to play them over and over. I always go in, planning on becoming a guild leader or somebody who is important in city politics, but what usually ends up happening is that I stand around a lot and sometimes explore a bit to make maps.

That's what keeps drawing me back. I love to make maps of the world. All it ends up being is a bunch of squares connected by lines from the sides or the corners. I'm not sure what I like so much, but it's definitely my favorite part of things.

My least favorite part has to be combat. It usually comes down to who ever has the better scripts to react to every single possible situation. Being a programmer, you would think that I would be able to come up with something great, but it takes a bit of time and effort and also requires one to find every possible message the game might send at you in so that you can code a reaction to it. I'm currently trying to build a decent set of "reflexes" (the word you use in game in order to stay in character), using the tintin++ MUD client. The scripting language has most features I think I need, but I can't figure out how to do a few things that I would like. If I need to, I could use it to call a script in a language I know better, like PHP.

1 comment:

The Blaggernaut said...

Combat is why I hate all games. Combat and other people. That's why I only play turn-based games. And yet somehow I want to play tf2?!

I feel if a game has a lot of combat, like a shooter, I focus so much on the shooting that I forget about almost every other aspect of the game including how to use the environment to my tactical advantage and um, not getting shot. I think the only game I play that has a lot of fighting is DnD.