Monday, October 18, 2010

Fat Tire

Here it is, a new category of posts. Beer!

Last night I had a Fat Tire from New Belgium Brewery. Fat Tire has become my goto beer. It's only available in the west, so it has achieved somewhat of a cult status in the east. I'm not saying that it doesn't deserve it. It is one of the most lovely, drinkable beers I have ever had.

It's an American Amber Ale, which I poured into a mug style glass. It had the color of real maple syrup, Grade A, which is not as dark as most people think. Perhaps a bit lighter, but the hue is spot on. The lacy head dissipated quickly, but any that sticks around clings to the edges of the glass.

The smell is pretty sweet. It reminded me of Chimay, or another strong Belgian dark ale. The smell does is not indicative of the taste though. It has a low bitterness and some malty flavor, but it's not really sweet and sticky either. I think this quality is what makes it something that you could drink a lot of. Really hoppy or really malty beers numb the taste buds. This is mild enough to not do that, but still have a good flavor that one can appreciate. Though it has a ABV of 5.2%, so it would not be appropriate to call it a session beer.

The only problem was that I was impatient and did not let it chill long enough. It was probably twenty degrees too warm. It didn't taste bad like some beers do when they aren't freezing, but the warmth didn't add anything to it.

The brothers on beeradvocate.com say in their reviews of this beer that it is biscuity. I'm not sure what that means and I am curious. What sort of biscuit do they mean? The kind you put sausage gravy on? Something a bit drier? And then does that describe some wheat flavors it might have?

I love beer. And coffee. I can't pick one over the other.

2 comments:

Marya said...

I want a beer that goes with biscuits and gravy. Do more beer posts! (So I actually understand what you're talking about...)

The Blaggernaut said...

I request a review of Strongbow.