Monday, October 25, 2010

Original

Today is a day for Weihenstephaner Original.

I am in love with this beer. It's a Munish Helles Lager (Germany's answer to the Czech Pilsner). This is the exact thing I want when I'm looking for a thirst quenching beer. Better than Becks, Heineken (not difficult), Stella and even Pilsner Urquell (obivously not a Helles, but close enough).

The first thing I noticed about this beer is how many bubbles is had in the glass. This was easy to see because its a very clear, light yellow beer. All I can say about the scent is that it is beer. It's the exact smell that I assume most people would associate with beer.

The flavor is simple, and I think that is what makes it so good. It's not fancy or unusual. It's a lager done right. If I didn't want to make sure I had some for later, every time I buy this, I would probably drink most of them that day.

There aren't any off flavors, it comes in a brown bottle (a rariety for this style, it seems) and can be had with anything. It won't overpower your food, or leave a lingering taste.

It seems that I'm going to be giving a lot of good reviews to the beers I drink. This is because the selection here isn't great, unlike the amazing Beers of the World right down the BHTL from RIT, or even Wegmans. I will try to find some new ones to discuss, but if I can't, expect more good reviews because I'm going to buy what I like.

I can certainly do some reviews on cider and perhaps even whiskey and gin.

1 comment:

The Blaggernaut said...

Is there an official set of criteria beer critics need to grade on? I don't know anything about beer (except I do know what a hops plant looks like, and that people I know used to sleep on a pillow filled with hops because it smelled nice and was calming supposedly), but your posts sound serious.