Sunday, October 31, 2010

London Pride

Fuller's London Pride is pretty much what I expected the ESB to be, based on name alone. A step up from the ESB on my unofficial scale of pale ales, this beer has a larger hops scent and a definitely noticeable hops flavor at the end.

The color is a little lighter than the ESB, that is, light brown. Not dark gold, like a IPA could be. There was a sweetness to it before you got the hops. It wasn't a malty sweetness, like what you find in barleywines. It was crisper, dryer, less sticky. More like a sweetness one finds in cider, sans apple.

I remember that the old toad used to have a beer made from them called the EPA. It reminds me of the ESB. Then one day they got rid of it. Somebody told me (Dan) that the London Pride was the same thing. It wasn't. I got it and thought "This is a lot hoppier than the EPA was". I didn't say anything, but I knew he was wrong. Having the London Pride the other day reminded me of this.

As I said in my ESB post, I think that ESB is a good beginner english ale. Once you are ready to try something with more hops, I think London Pride would be appropriate. It's not overpowering, but you can't miss it.

No comments: